September 2023Vol. 24, No. 7National Strategy to Support Family Caregivers: Recommendations for States and Communities
When relatives step in as caregivers to help family members in need, they don’t always receive the resources and support they need. To increase support for kin families, the Recognize, Assist, Include, Support, and Engage (RAISE) Act Family Caregiving Advisory Council and the Advisory Council to Support Grandparents Raising Grandchildren developed the 2022 National Strategy to Support Family Caregivers.
As part of the strategy, the advisory councils released a document outlining more than 150 suggested actions that states, communities, and other organizations can take to holistically recognize, assist, include, support, and engage family caregivers. The actions were developed in 2022 based on focus groups, interviews with caregivers, research, surveys, and more. They are neither prescriptive nor all-inclusive and are intended to provide a variety of options for jurisdictions and other organizations.
The actions are designed to support the strategy’s five major goals identified by the advisory councils:
- Achieve greater awareness of and outreach to family caregivers
- Advance partnerships and engagement with family caregivers
- Strengthen services and supports for family caregivers
- Improve financial and workplace security for family caregivers
- Improve actions to expand data, research, and evidence-based practices to support family caregivers