- March 2021
- Vol. 22, No. 3
- Children's Bureau Express
- Spotlight on Youth Transitioning Out of Care
Spotlight on Youth Transitioning Out of Care
This edition of CBX highlights youth transitioning out of care and the challenges they face as they begin their journey to independent living and adulthood. Read spotlight articles on how the COVID-19 pandemic has created even more obstacles for these youth, ways to ensure their financial well-being as they navigate living on their own, and the importance of acquiring education and skills to be self-sufficient and independent.
- The Experiences of Older Youth in and Aged Out of Foster Care During COVID-19
COVID-19 has had a large impact on all levels of society. It has exposed weaknesses in systems and exacerbated disparities among the most vulnerable. The pandemic has had a disproportionate impact...
- Ensuring the Financial Well-Being of Youth Transitioning From Care
When youth begin the transition to independent living and adulthood, it is required that they have a transition plan in place at least 6 months before their 18th birthday. It is during this time...
- Helping Youth Prepare for the Transition to Adulthood
Youth who at risk of transitioning out of care because of their age may face many challenges. Some may not have had access to the same supports that their peers not in care have had and may be...
- Education and Skills Training May Ease the Transition to Adulthood for Youth Exiting Care
Attaining an education and obtaining employment play an important role in the transition to adulthood for most young people. This is especially important for youth in foster care. Compared with...